Nevertheless, it was with Charles V when a major change was carried out: in 1526 the construction of the Palace of Charles V was initiated in a Renaissance style. Later on, during the 17th century and above the Mosque, the Church of Santa María was constructed, leaving however the bath of the previous Mosque untouched.
During the rest of the Spanish Habsburg dynasty, the maintenance of the whole complex was looked after, especially due to the interest it raised across borders. It wasn’t until the arrival in 1700 of the Bourbon dynasty that The Alhambra was forsaken and, what is even worse, was nearly demolished during the French occupation.
Fortunately, during the 20th century, with the international recognition of the whole complex as World Heritage Site in 1984, this Andalusian city recovered its glory.